Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Alpha and omega... or at least delta or sigma or something?

I've been reading the book of Genesis lately, and I came across chapter 40, wherein Joseph interpreted the dreams of the Pharaoh's imprisoned cupbearer and baker... and I thought, wow! Did Joseph just predict the death and resurrection of Christ? It seems a bit of a stretch, but there is the reference to bread and wine (baker and cupbearer), just as at the Last Supper, and the baker (remember, bread = body, according to Jesus) winds up being hanged, while the cupbearer (wine = blood, spirit) is released from prison three days after his dream is interpreted! That sounds an awful lot like a prediction of Jesus suffering bodily and spiritually, only to return in 3 days to vindicate humanity...

Wow... all the way back in Genesis... almost 1900 years before Christ... That is pretty darn amazing! Makes me wonder what other "historical coincidences" will turn out to actually mean something in the end... Or maybe I'm way off base here... John MacArthur and all those Bible scholars who write biblical commentary seem to catch and explain just about every sort of coincidence possible; how could I have possibly caught something new? I'm sure someone's thought of this connection before... hmm, my friend was telling me the other day how I'm one of those people who tries to see things from every possible angle, and that while it causes me great anxiety at times, it really is a gift from God... maybe I should be a Bible scholar myself! It would take some intense studying though... hmm... would have to learn Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek... would definitely be rewarding though! Many people have achieved the "impossible" with help from God... the pastor at my church was saying the other week how he never thought he'd be able to stand up and speak in front of people back when he was in college!

But to avoid getting too grandiose here, I think I'd better keep doing what I can at the moment, and only plan ahead a LITTLE bit, just enough to remind myself that life does have meaning after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment