Saturday, March 12, 2016

ShoppyRL day one: "I'm the map, I'm the map..."

So today I made a map! It's similar to the TriQuest map (2013 7DRL) in that it's composed of "danger zones", but this time the danger zones are "fuzzed" a bit so they're not perfectly square. Well, actually they have holes cut out of them!

I've also created some creatures which are placed on the map: 5 heroes and a bunch of monsters. The terrain and the creatures can be edited in data files!

I also made a basic combat system; not sure how balanced it is, but it's similar to the one I used in TriQuest. Hopefully balancing it will require only tweaking creature stats...

Finally, there's a console app which displays the map and simulates some combat (though creatures can attack each other from across the map). I think I'll have to use some other sort of GUI, though, as the console app is way too slow then displaying the map. No idea why the Windows console can't just display a grid of characters... isn't that what it's for?

I think I'm basically on track for today, though I'll be rather busy the rest of the week so I don't really have high hopes of completing this game on time. I would have continued on with tomorrow's goals, but I'd already spent enough time programming for one day! (Even though I borrowed a lot of utility code from other projects of mine...)

Speaking of tomorrow's goals...

  • Create a real GUI
  • Oops, I forgot to finish this... let me go publish it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment